Dwellers in a Wood

'To dwellers in a wood almost every species of tree has its voice as well as its feature. At the passing of the breeze the fir-trees sob and moan no less distinctly than they rock; the holly whistles as it battles with itself; the ash hisses amid its quiverings; the beech rustles while its flat boughs rise and fall. And winter, which modifies the note of such trees as shed their leaves, does not destroy its individuality.'
Under the Greenwood Tree, Thomas Hardy

Oh how I love that passage of writing. I first heard it it the form of an audio book. I was travelling to meet a friend, a journey of over an hour and a half and in that time I didn't get to listen to more than twenty minutes of the story.  So compelling was that opening paragraph that I just had to listen to it again and again and again.

A winter walk amongst the trees is and always has been one of my true loves. Trees are full of life, characters in their own right. And if you look carefully...

They dance 


and hug 


and wink

Trees hold such and alluring spell over me. So, I suppose, it is no surprise that I have always wished to paint on wood. I love the feel of it, the smell of it, as well as its presence. I now have plans to take a small step sideways with my craft.. ...a step closer to creating an object of beguiling magic that can be appreciated by young and old reminding them of that mythic realm that lies beyond our everyday lives. A huge undertaking I know, but,  I plan to take just one small step closer..... 

The sweet aroma of wood fills the air around me and little pieces of sandpaper litter the floor near my feet.


Comments

  1. Thank you for finding Mrs Black's little blog, and I am enjoying reading yours too! Your photographs of trees are wonderful. I always see faces and personalities in trees, and you have captured these well. Minerva ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. The joy of walking in the woods to me is meeting trees and listening to them. There is an old woods near us; A couple of months ago while we were walking, I felt strong pulling power from a large beech tree, so that I had to walk into the scrub and and meet it. It was strange feeling that I had never felt before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh...I would love to hear more....please email me if you feel like it... theoldburrow@googlemail.com

      :) xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Cathy, I have sent you a long email last Saturday. If it didn't reach you, let me know. : )

      Delete
    3. Hi Midori, no I didn't get it....the email above is correct...all lower case of course. Hope you can resend it...would love to read it. x

      Delete
  3. Really dance! The music of the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got goosebumps looking at these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Cathy, just discovered your blog and the beauty of dancing trees. Thank you for the link to my husband's website, Woodland Treasures. We are so lucky here in north Scotland to live among the trees we planted and visit them whenever we want to.... Best wishes Fuggo King

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, It's a pleasure to make contact with you both...your husbands work is soul stirring...I am lucky enough to own a beautiful tree pendent which I treasure. As for Scotland..yes I know what you mean...I have spent time in the highlands and on the west coast and it is my intention to move up that way when the time is right. Bless you both and your beautiful trees! x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts