Fortune Favours The Brave

I started this painting along time ago when I was feeling a lot more courageous than I do today. But then true bravery is mastered when one can continue to face ones fears without giving way to the fear itself.
Big talk for a small and quivering person. Life is challenging at the moment and I feel that it is this way for many of us. All around me personal battles are being fought in precarious circumstances. 
On days like these I love to turn to Terri Windling's Drawing Board Blog. Her magical words and wise quotations are soul food.  She is taking a small break for while so I have gone back through her posts to find this beautiful quote;


"So don't be frightened, dear friend, if a sadness confronts you larger than any you have ever known, casting its shadow over all you do. You must think that something is happening within you, and remember that life has not forgotten you; it holds you in its hand and will not let you fall. Why would you want to exclude from your life any uneasiness, any pain, any depression, since you don't know what work they are accomplishing within you?" - R. M. Rilke (from Letters to a Young Poet)


Below is a colour experiment for the larger work to be completed at a later date. I like the textures appearing in the sky and the sea but the bold coloured clothes are not what I will choose for the final piece. 
The two creatures are sailing on stormy seas in a small vessel but I feel sure that they will make it to their destination. The ships guardian has seen something on the horizon that has made him smile. May we all have such a vessel to take us home.



Comments

Popular Posts